Fun activities for you and your elementary school child
- Help your child plan an activity and celebrate it with the entire family.
- Make tonight a 'No TV' night with your family. Ask your child to help select games or stories, and spend some quality time with him.
- Help boost your child's self-esteem. Take pride in her achievements and accomplishments today and every day.
- Put on a history play with your child today. Help him learn about important events in world history or even your own family history.
- Make learning to write letters and numbers fun for your child. Roll playdough or clay into long thin worms and ask her to create letters and numbers.
- Ask your child to help make lunch today. He can pick a spot in the park so that you can share lunch together.
- Take the family out to a water park today. Help your child put on sunscreen and explain the importance of protecting her skin.
- Go to the park and take a nature hike with your child today. Ask him to point out different animals and what they need to survive (i.e. food, shelter etc.)
- School's on the way! Help your child make a 'countdown to school' calendar. Ask her to cross off each day at bedtime.
- Encourage your child to make a 'to do' list today. Help him make a list of things that he would like to accomplish tomorrow, then check the items once completed.
- Visit a community pool with your child today. Go for a dip to cool off on a hot day.
- Take your child shopping for school supplies. Ask her to brainstorm a list of things that she will need for school.
- Help your child make a kite today. He can decorate it and fly it at the park.
- Teach your child about recycling. Show her how to recycle items such as paper, glass and aluminium.
- Take your child to a petting zoo today. Ask him to draw pictures of the animals that he saw today.
- Visit the library with your child today. Encourage her to borrow books about a different country, and learn about the people, cultures, and customs of the that country.
- On a rainy day, set up a tent with your child in the living room. He can pretend to be a forest ranger.
- Help your child practice her math skills. Ask her to add up all the change in your pocket or purse today.
- Teach your child about the importance of preserving nature. Help him plant a tree in the yard and explain how littering harms the environment.
- On a large piece of construction paper, help your child write her name vertically. Using each letter, help her write words that describe her personality.