Putnam County Pre-K is a FREE collaborative pre-k program between Putnam County Schools, Appalachian Council Head Start, and select private Pre-K centers. Putnam County offers Pre-K in 13 of our 14 elementary schools and four private childcare centers. Unlike K-12 education in Putnam County Schools, Pre-K is not zoned by where you reside. You may attend any Pre-K site in Putnam County that is convenient for you and meets your needs if space is available.
Pre-K will operate Monday through Thursday at all sites for 2021-22. All students will attend 6 hours and 15 minutes daily. To view all of the Pre-K sites in Putnam County, along with information about Pre-K hours, before/aftercare, location, etc., please open the document entitled "Parent Information Table" located in the filing cabinet below. Also, visit the WVDE site, Find My WV Pre-K, to find a site near your home.
Eligibility for Putnam County Pre-K for the 2021-22 school year
Your child must reside in Putnam County. Your child's birth date must be between July 1, 2016, and June 30, 2017. There are three exceptions to this age rule that we will consider:
- your child has an IEP with two or more developmental delays;
- your child's 4-year old Putnam County Pre-K teacher recommends they repeat the program; or
- your child is five years old and has not previously attended Pre-K. Your five year old must go through a kindergarten readiness screening to be considered for Pre-K. The result of that screening will determine whether your child should enroll in Pre-K or kindergarten.
Registration for the 2021-22 school year will open January 19, 2021. You can start the registration process by clicking on the link below and completing the questionnaire. This is only the first step of the registration process. You will be notified about your child's tentative placement via the e-mail address that you signed up with. The e-mail will inform you of the remaining steps of the registration process.
Placements are made using the selection criteria that you can find below.
Please contact Nancy Joplin at 304-586-0500 x 1133 with any questions.
Forms for Parents
- Parent Information Table for Pre-K 2021-2022
- Selection Criteria for Pre-K (parent version)
- Pre-K After Care Fees
- Medication Order
Links for Parents
- WV Department of Education Pre-K from West Virginia Department of Education
- National Institute for Early Education Research
- Pre-K Now
- Policy 2525 Universal Access to Early Education System from West Virginia Department of Education
- Creative Curriculum (Pre-K curriculum)
- Get Ready to Read activity cards
- Reading Rockets
Elizabeth Hoh, Director of Elementary Ed.
- 304-586-0500 extension 1122
- E-Mail Elizabeth Hoh
Nancy Joplin, Secretary
- 304-586-0500 extension 1133
- E-Mail Nancy Joplin